Software for drawing a patio cover?

Old 08-16-13, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Software for drawing a patio cover?

I need some software for drawing a patio cover. Nothing fancy, just simple drawings for building permit, which is all our city code guys require. Got any good ones you can recommend?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-13, 05:38 PM
Temporarily Suspended
What about an awning instead? It does the same thing & it doesn't require a permit.

Old 08-16-13, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
How about old fashioned pencil and paper? By the time you learn a new software it might just be easier to do it old school.

Old 08-16-13, 09:14 PM
Pilot Dane, I was thinking that too, but if there's something that's not too difficult to learn I would use it.

Old 08-17-13, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
There are several softwares that you can download and have a free trial period. I would not recommend any of them unless you have CAD experience. Using software for creating drawings has a certain thought process and unless you are somewhat experienced thinking how to make a software produce what you want can be quite a learning curve. Every deck or home design software I've tried has had some very annoying quirks in 2D and you need a stiff drink when working in 3D to calm your nerves as you learn each software's idiosyncrasies.

So, if you're just doing this one project and need a simple plan and front view with some dimensions you'd probably be done drawing it on paper by the time you got a software downloaded, installed and activated. If you think you'll be doing more projects in the future or need to make numerous changes or modifications to the drawing then the software starts to become more a option.

Old 08-17-13, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just a note for Pulpo...in my area, awnings (even small ones over windows and doors) require permits as well. Of course it's normally handled by the company that makes and installs them locally.

Anyway...I vote for pen and paper as well, they don't need to be super detailed normally, and you can change them on the spot if they require something additional. I did that for a shed I built in VA and the inspector stood right there with me and pointed out issues as I did the changes.

Old 08-17-13, 08:10 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Gunguy45, I know what you are saying about needing permits, for the strangest things. Incorporated villages in suburbs are the worst, for that. I'm not a home owner but that would be the last place I would buy.

Old 08-17-13, 10:13 AM
Do ya feel lucky?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Around here (Albuquerque NM) anything attached needs a permit, and anything unattached need to be 10' from the house. That's probably why so many people just roll the dice and do it without a permit.

Old 08-20-13, 10:08 PM
You may be able to save yourself a little work by downloading a Google pic of your property. Most permits require a drawing of the property with setbacks listed for the buildings on the property. You can do the measuring and write in the numbers on the pic.

Old 08-20-13, 11:07 PM
Thanks, that's a good idea. Yes, our city requirements include a site drawing with that info.