no. of and distance between posts

Old 02-18-01, 10:04 AM
Visiting Guest
I am going to build a 16x32 (approx.) deck onto my house. A portion of this deck, (approx. 10x26), will be used for a foundation for an addition to the house at some point in the future. I will also extend the roof line of the house to cover this area,10x26, now. I am going to use 2x8 joists and 2x4 deck boards. How far apart and how many posts should I use to support all of this when I am finished with the add on?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-01, 03:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The 10x26 area where you are going to enclose for a house addition, will require a concrete foundation. You cannot expand a house onto a deck. Sorry.

Old 02-20-01, 06:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

My house is pier and beam. If I were going to make an addition only, how far apart should the posts(piers) be. Basically, what I will have at first is an addition with no walls or roof. Then I will add the roof. And finally the walls. All of the piers will be set in concrete. I know this is out of the ordinary, but it is the way I want to do it, given that I want to "pay as I go". I hope this makes it clearer what I want to do. Thanks

Old 02-20-01, 04:01 PM
I understand perfectly what you want to do, and it's not legal to build them like that anymore. You need a stem wall foundation under the exterior walls of the addition.

Old 02-20-01, 04:11 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure what a "stem wall foundation" is. Please explain. I have an idea what you mean, but I'd rather be sure. Thanks for the info. I know I'm not very knowledgeable about all the terms, but I know I can do this project with guidance. That's why I'm asking you guys.

Old 02-21-01, 04:11 AM
You need to go to your local building department. Explain to them what you want to do, and they will have brochures and materials that will help you.