What should I use to recoat my balcony?

Old 08-24-13, 04:37 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What should I use to recoat my balcony?

Hello, below are pictures of my 2nd floor balcony. Does anyone know how it is finished? You can see in the last picture it's some type of coating over metal sheeting. Based on the small aggregates in the third picture, my guess is maybe painted asphalt sheeting?

What should I use to repaint/recoat it? I was thinking of trying Bahr patio paint or 1-part epoxy coating. Do I have any other options? Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16742[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16745[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16746[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16747[/ATTACH]

Attached Images     
Old 08-25-13, 03:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It's a little hard to tell from the pics but I'd assume it's concrete. To paint you'd clean and rinse, give it plenty of time to dry and then use a concrete stain [solid latex deck stain would also work] You'll find the better coatings [advice too] at your local paint store [not a paint dept]

Old 08-25-13, 05:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would start with just giving it a good cleaning. Use some concrete cleaner and a good scrubbing with a stiff bristled brush or use a low powered pressure washer. After a thorough cleaning then reevaluate the porch if it's worth the work of a recoating. You might be happy with the way it is when it's clean.

Old 08-25-13, 08:37 AM
F
Great, thanks for the suggestions!

Old 09-02-13, 02:44 PM
F
I checked with a paint store today and they didn't have much advice or products other than floor paint. Though it's not dire, I would definitely like to do something to it so the pits and cracks don't get worse. However, this is just a small condo balcony so I'd rather not spend too much money on it.

Coincidentally, my neighbor just recoated his this weekend. He used "deck coating" from HD (looks to me like the DeckOver by Behr). Which would give me the best DIY results? DeckOver, 1-part garage floor/patio epoxy, or patio paint? Thanks.

Old 09-03-13, 03:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Because the 'deck over' coatings are fairly new, they don't have a proven track record although I suspect that type of coating will give the nicest looking result [it's thicker and should hide any minor defects in the substrate] Generally epoxy coatings hold up better than oil/latex floor coatings, either should do a decent job. The main thing is to have a clean dry substrate! and follow all the directions [prep and application] on the label.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: