Raising Paver Stone Patio Between Patio/House and fence

Old 08-26-13, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Raising Paver Stone Patio Between Patio/House and fence

Hello, need some opinions. We are working on our paver stone patio and this part isn't in the common directions on how to build one.

So, from the patio to the fence on the right is about 8ft. Before excavation it slopped about 6inches. So, we need to raise it so it only slopes 1inch.

From the patio to the grass line, it slopes about 9.5 inches before excavation.

We've dug out about 7 inches everywhere. We plan on a 4inch gravel base, 1 inch sand, 1.8 inches for stone.

That means we need something to retain all the gravel. The plan is to build a retaining wall all along the fence and the grass line. I plan on putting a 4inch gravel base below the retaining wall made with cinder blocks.

My main concern is building this retaining wall correctly in a way that will lasts a very long time and making it all level.

I can fill the cinder blocks with gravel and glue it or gravel and mortar in between the blocks.

If you look at the last picture, just imagine that wall is facing the fence and the pavers are going toward the existing patio.

It's going to be extremely challenging to get the retaining wall up the proper height to level patio correctly.

Has anyone had this issue before or know of a set of directions I can follow?

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-13, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
I would not use "cinder blocks" but instead choose a block intended for retaining wall use. I'm a fan of the Keystone brand blocks but there are others that work equally well. In your situation one standard 8" high block and a 4" cap would be all you'd need.

Old 08-26-13, 04:26 PM
Thanks for your response! Stressing out about that area around the fence. I really want to contain that gravel and get the level right.

I'll do what you said!

Old 08-26-13, 08:20 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on the patio draining toward the fence?

Old 08-27-13, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
Draining toward the fence could cause legal issues with your neighbor. In many areas you are liable for the water if you alter it from it's natural course. It's generally not an issue with a small patio but if that area previously drained back and not toward the fence it could cause issue. Your neighbor could complain that you re-graded or that your construction altered the natural drainage and you are sending the water onto their property causing problems.

From a maintenance standpoint I would not want a narrow strip between the patio and fence that's difficult to maintain. A strip of grass wide enough for mowing and blowing away leaves and debris would be nice. If you get the patio up close to the fence I imagine there would be an awkward trench. Around here (NC) I call them snake habitats as they tend to collect debris for insects & critters.