Deck Thoughts...

Old 08-27-13, 11:23 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck Thoughts...

Hi All,
After a couple of years of having the house on ignore and goofing off, it's time to roll up the sleeves and get to buisness. The interior of the place is done, know it's time for the deck and landscaping etc.
While I like the no maintence of the vinyl wood, a deck the size I want - it's not to be. The wife says Duradeck, that I cant stand. What is a wood that can stand up to the blazing direct sun we get besides cedar that doesnt need stain or paint every 2 seasons?
I'm liking the stainless aircraft cable railing systems out there. We us aircraft cable for seismec restraint at work sometimes, so I'm familier working with it, any cons with it I'm missing?
Finally I'm knocking down the existing deck that faces west and the new one will be west and mostly on the south side of the house. You can see the natural slope of the yard isn't ideal on that corner of the house. I've round up'd the yard and equipment is scheduled to level the side yard. Should I membrane the house down in the hole and flash the whole area and the back fill to it also? Or leave alone and build to conform to the slope? I'll have to adjust picture size before I can get them to upload I see for that question...
Sorry for the ramble, but my laundry list on the exterior is long and I want to git er done... Look forward to feedback.

Old 08-27-13, 11:56 AM
C
Just a couple pics of the dip by the house. I'm putting an 200a U/G electrical sevice in so the meter is moving....

Attached Images   
Old 08-27-13, 01:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Pictures of the existing deck and the proposed location would help.

Old 08-27-13, 02:21 PM
C
Thanks,
Sorry about the cartoon drawings, just sitting on the deck drinking bevy's and scheming on design. I would like to incorporate the Scotch Pine into the deck build but the missus says no.
I have a peek a boo lake view and better mountain views from the south side. The dip is on the south west corner of the house. The thumb nail sketches represent the concept, I'll do proper drawings on the blue beam when I fly back to work....

Cheers

Attached Images   
Old 08-27-13, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Thoughts as I re-read your posts:

1.Composite decks will be hot. If you wear flipflops, that's fine.
2.You can go exotic wood if you like, but maintenance is a bear.
3.Pressure treated lumber will probably give the longest average life with occasional maintenance.
4.If you have a dip at the house, you need to address it to keep water from collecting there and possibly leaking in the basement, if you have one.
5. SS cables are fine, but you have to adhere to the 4" opening standards just like regular balustrades.
6. No tree. Trees grow up, your deck won't. Wifey wins that round.
7. Cutting the deck across that corner will minimize traffic flow, but I understand if the tree is in the way.
8. Have you considered free standing versus attached to the house?

You may want to do some light reading while you are on the red eye. http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Old 08-27-13, 04:06 PM
C
Thanks for the link and inputs... I fixed that Scotch Pine from a Charlie Brown tree into something pretty nice (for a pine) and hate to cut it down, but it is on the list of options. Figuring out gas port locations for a fire pit and BBQ and maybe a rough in for a water feature, at least it's there.
I use this framing book as my guide, because this is not my trade - will compare against your link and the city (fairly lax) from what I've seen... I like the pressure treated route also, I have alot to do outside, don't want to break the bank on the first step.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: