Repainting Expanded Steel Patio Furniture??

Old 08-28-13, 04:28 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Repainting Expanded Steel Patio Furniture??

Not exactly a patio question, but didn't know where else to post. We have a painted black, pretty std table and 4 chairs that are looking long in the tooth after 8 yrs in the elements. They were probably powder coated originally. Can they be successfully repainted with aerosols? What would the prep be? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-13, 05:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would wash the entire set with a strong detergent, let it dry in the sun for a day. If you have rust, wire brush the spots and hit it with rust converter spray (follow the directions). Then finish coat with a few coats of Rustoleum spray.

Old 08-29-13, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
Are the steel? or aluminum?

The only thing against using rattle cans is it's hard to get a good coat of paint on the metal. The paint in an aerosol can is highly thinned in order for the propellant to be able to spray it. Using a brush and roller will give a longer lasting job, even spraying with an airless or conventional spray is better than spray cans because the paint doesn't need to be thinned as much. As mentioned above, clean [and rinse] well [I'd use TSP] sand as needed, prime if needed and be sure to apply enough paint to provide years of protection.

Old 08-29-13, 11:18 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Good Ideas

It is steel and very little rust. I think I can roll the expanded metal surfaces and maybe spray the legs/supports. I wouldn't have thought of rolling this. I suppose having a commercial shop strip and re-powder coat would be more than the furniture is worth. I shouldn't have sold my airless, but at 68, not much use for it.

Old 08-29-13, 01:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
Those little rollers work good for small jobs like this. Thinning the paint just a little will help it flow together better reducing the amount of roller stipple. Painting in the shade also helps