Botched Deck Stain

Old 09-02-13, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Botched Deck Stain

Hello,

I recently bought a house and the previous owner botched the job when staining the deck.

Here are some pictures - there are several things I would like to correct if possible.

The deck is fairly new and has been stained once. It was sunny out side and I guess due to glare, the person staining didn't think the stain took well so they put more stain down in spots that looked bare. As you can see, the deck now looks patchy.

It also looks as if sap or something bled through the stain on/near knots in the decking.

Is there any way to correct this? Perhaps power-washing and then restaining the wood? Or would letting the natural weather wear away the differences make more sense?

The railing is painted white, but they did not get the final coat on. It looks as if they only primed it and did not get any further.

Here is a close up of the railing. It looks as if mold or mildew is bleeding through. Will a scrub with bleach water and a hose take care of this or do I need to powerwash, reprime, and then final coat?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-13, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I suspect the railing has a white solid stain on it. IMO a white stain is better than primer and paint [less prep, won't peel later on] although stain won't give a solid paint look or any gloss, if desired. I'd clean the railing with a bleach/water solution and restain - maybe add some extra mildewcide to the stain.

The white on the deck is from the PT chemicals leaching out of the wood. The deck was likely stained too soon after the PT process. Once cleaned off it's not likely to return. The deck does look like the stain was applied unevenly. I'd clean the deck with a bleach/water solution with TSP added before restaining the deck. If the deck looks fairly even after you clean it, you can go back with a translucent or toner stain [what's on there now] other wise you might want to switch to a semi-transparent stain.

Old 09-03-13, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I found a can of the white they used on the railings of the deck - it is the white satin stain. I think I'll try to just wash it down with bleach water and stain it while the weather holds/before winter.