Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Olympic Rescue it! First coat still Tacky after more than 12 hours ..........

Old 09-02-13, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

After buying our new place, we knew we had to do something with the deck. It was fairly weathered and seemed that it had been neglected for the better part of the last 7 years. So we decided on going with the Olympic Rescue It! deck restore solid stain. Yesterday I started at about 10 am and worked thru to mid afternoon diligently applying the first coat as directed in the instructions and on the video. And since I was unable to even start the deck this morning, I decided to wait to mid afternoon today to put the second coat on. Problem is it's still tacky, when they say to allow the first coat 6 hours to dry. Well it isn't dry and I can't find anywhere or anyone else that has had this problem, so if there is anyone out there that has any insight into this please hit me with it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-13, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 375 Votes on 352 Posts
That Olympic Rescue It is water based so the drying time is probably based on low humidity.
Has the humidity level been high there ?

Old 09-02-13, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
More so than normal, I'm in Alberta and its usually pretty dry out here. But it has been somewhat of a humid summer, comparatively so. Not as humid as it gets out East, not by a long shot. Although for a westerner like myself, any amount of humidity and you'd think I'd been hit with a baseball bat.

Old 09-03-13, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
What prep did you do prior to applying the coating? The main reasons for slow drying time are; high humidity, low temps and contaminants on the substrate.