Dek-Blocks to 2x6 Beam?

Old 09-09-13, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dek-Blocks to 2x6 Beam?

Hello

I just joined this forum today, I'm trying to build a near ground level 8x8 tier off my existing deck. It will be all 2x6 joists and I was hoping to not have to buy 15+ dek blocks, would I be able to set 2 2x6 beams spaced two feet in from each side (4' between beams) and place the joists on top of the beams? Basically just 6 total deck blocks (3 per 2x6 beam) and the joists and floor boards sitting on top of that? Any insight would be great. If this is completely wrong just let me know that as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by sauclerc; 09-09-13 at 11:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-13, 03:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Don't know why you would have to buy 15 dek blocks. 2x6's can span 8' just fine. You will need to support the outer corners and midspans on the outside to keep it from feeling spongy. I am assuming you are going to use joist hangers to hold your joists to the existing deck band and the band you will be building with the new deck portion. You can also post pictures of what you have so we can see what you see and give better advice. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-10-13, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That sounds great, thank you! Also the current deck sits about 56" off the ground and we'll have stairs going down about 2.5' to 3' to the 8'X8' section. So this section won't be tied into the current deck band but will have it's own bands with joist hangers. Based on what you said though I'm thinking about doing 8 total blocks, two rows of 4 blocks about 2 feet in from the edges, also we'll have 6 joists inside of the 4 other boards making up the perimeter and spaced about 14" apart so it'll be a little more sturdy than needed in that regard is this OK? Sorry if any of this is redundant I'm literally learning as I go here. Thanks!