Notching 4x4'

Old 09-10-13, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Notching 4x4'

I have been asked to build standards for horse jumps.
They are built with 4x4x6's. 2 of them connected with 2x4's, 3 of them on the lenghth, 2ft wide
Basically the 4x4's are top to bottom and the 2x4's connect them together. The theory is that you make notches in the 4x4 and put the 2x4's into the notches and secure them. Would sort of make the structure look like a 3 step ladder
Please tell me the only way is not to saw out the notches and then breakaway the cuts, clean away rough surface.
Please tell me there is an easier way - I have to make 30 structures

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-13, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A router and template would seem the way to go. Either that of some sort of dado blade in a radial arm saw. Would be harder to do in a table saw.

Old 09-10-13, 11:47 AM
Thank You. Considering I have limited equipment do you think I could, since there is not an easy notching option set my circular saw to a little under 2" and just make multiple cuts into the 4x4 then clean it out so that the 2x4 is flat into the 4x4

Old 09-10-13, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well...thats what you first said you didn't want to do...so I didn't bring it up. Yes, you can line up all the posts (or as many as you can easily work with) clamp them somehow, then make the cuts (more like 1 5/8" deep), and use a big wide chisel to clean them up. You'll want more than a typical wood chisel...they will wear you out pushing them. I don't know the proper type, but they have a much longer steel portion as well as a longer handle. They aren't designed for tapping with a mallet, but for pushing with just your hands.

It's going to take a long time at 3 notches per post and 30 (or 60?) posts.

Old 09-10-13, 12:05 PM
Could you use a 2x4 with 2x2 pieces fastened on with spaces (gaps) left for the perpendicular 2x4 rail? Make the dado space oversize, not to catch when dislodging.

Gary

Old 09-10-13, 12:23 PM
Mark the locations for the notches. Mark top and bottom with a framing square the draw an big X in the middle. use your circular saw and cut the top and bottom lines then two or three more passes thru the middle. Take your claw hammer and break out the big pieces then using the claw of the hammer clean out the rest. You could save some money by using a 4x4 on one side and a 2x4 on the other as in the pic.

Attached Images  
Old 09-10-13, 12:43 PM
thanks for this - the pictures are very close. What I will probably do is 4x4x6 on the inside and 4x4x4 on the outside.

Old 09-10-13, 12:51 PM
Thanks, but yes 60 posts for 15 sets - things we get ourselves into - lol....this is why I was hoping there was some new miracle tool. However I have come to realize that the insides need to be 6ft high bout the outside posts only need to be 4ft so 1 less notch per structure and I will noth at the top of the 4 ft post so I can do most of it with a table saw