Building a pergola on an existing deck.

Old 09-12-13, 02:54 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building a pergola on an existing deck.

I recently bought a hot tub and built a 10x10 deck for it so it would be on level ground. I used 2-6 pressure treated lumber for the deck joists and 2x6 cedar for decking.

The ground below the deck is made from interlocking patio blocks. Now I want to build a pergola on top of the deck for privacy. I want to use 4 x 4 posts (8') on the corners but am stymied as to how I can , or should, attach the verticle posts to the frame of the decking. I can remove the decking at the corners and insert my posts with lag bolts and then put a ribbon of 2x6 around the posts at the top(there will be nine in all) and then use cross bracing to minimize any sway in the structure.
So far I've been told this will work as long as my cross bracing at the top is done well. Others have said I should remove the decking, break through the patio block and pour concrete footing.
My concern is safety as well as cost. Any ideas.

Old 09-12-13, 03:35 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Check with your local building department people first, as a roofed structure in earthquake country will be required to meet specific seismic design and construction criteria. I suspect they will require you obtain the services of a professional engineer to design the thing, and produce a stamped set of plans to submit with your building permit application.

Old 09-12-13, 04:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Others have said I should remove the decking, break through the patio block and pour concrete footing.
In addition to what Bridgeman said, I'd go with door #2. Your pergola can't just be attached to your deck, nor can it just rest on your rock below. All vertical members must have support, and that support must be as deep as your frost line, granted some of California doesn't have it.

Old 09-12-13, 04:38 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Got a picture?
First red flag I see is using 4 X 4's.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: