Sonotube Post Bracket

Old 09-23-13, 11:49 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sonotube Post Bracket

Hey all,

Set some sonotubes recently and put post brackets in them. One of the brackets appears to have moved and/or set a little un-level which causes the post to be slanted a bit when placed in.

So far nothing is attached to the bracket. Wondering if there is anything that can be done to try and straighten the post? There will be a beam placed on top of it so its preferable that the post is straight.

Only thing I can think of is putting some galvanized metal (I have some extra washers I was going to try), or something under the post to try and even it out.

Are there any other ways to do this, short of redoing the sonotube?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-13, 12:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Mike, welcome to the forums! Depending on how skewed the post base you can sometimes go ahead and attach your post to it and bend the metal to a correctness. The washer idea is good one, if it can be done with a minimal number of washers. You may want to post a pix of it so we can see how much out of alignment it is. Hopefully you won't have to re do it, but there are ways around it, and we'll cross that bridge later. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-24-13, 12:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. Don't have any pictures however when putting the post in the bracket it is not skewed to to much. I'd say there is half an inch at most, probably less of space below one side of the post between the bracket if you push the post up to make it straight.

Bending of the bracket might work though I was a little worried of it coming loose from the tube?

Thanks!

Old 09-24-13, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the bracket was installed correctly (meaning adequate consolidation of the fresh concrete around its anchorage), it will not loosen up if the tabs are bent.

Why not consider trimming the bottom of the column, such that it can be set plumb in the existing bracket?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: