Deck with peeling paint

Old 09-23-13, 06:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck with peeling paint

Our deck was painted. The part of the deck that has been in the sun is peeling. The part of the deck that has been in the shade isn't peeling. I'm pretty sure it is a latex paint. We live in Michigan.

What should we do?

Solid stain - Will solid stain stick to a mix of raw wood and painted wood?

Or

Repaint the deck - Is there any paint that is made to work on a deck?

I dont want to strip the deck.

Old 09-24-13, 03:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Brian!

Do you know what type of latex paint was applied to the deck? does it have a sheen? how old is the paint job? What type of wood? [PT, cedar, something else] Pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

It would probably be best to clean the deck and then reevaluate. If mildew is a concern, use a bleach/water solution. I'd add TSP to the mix as it will clean/etch the existing paint so whatever coating is used will adhere well. Do you still have enough warm weather left to apply stain/paint?

Old 09-24-13, 06:48 AM
B
Hi. Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure what type of paint. We purchased the house and I've gone through all the random paint cans lying around in closets and none of them match the deck.

I did a power wash on a section last night. Most of the mildew came up in the section. However, there are still bits of loose paint chips.

Attached is a photo of one of the problem areas.

We have a patch of warm weather this week. So, I'm hoping to get it ready over the next week.

My thoughts was to fix lose nails tonight.
Rent a belt sander tomorrow night for the floor and the handrails.
Rinse down the deck Thursday.
Paint it with a solid stain this weekend.

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-13, 10:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I like your plan, solid body stain is my first choice for an older deck.

Old 09-24-13, 12:19 PM
B
I'm not sure I can get all the paint off my deck, especially in the cracks and corners. Will this be ok with the solid stain?

Old 09-24-13, 02:50 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
All is best but most is usually just fine.

Old 09-24-13, 05:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There shouldn't be any issues with applying solid stain over small areas of sound well adhered paint.

Old 09-25-13, 01:59 PM
B
Hi. One more question.

I'm thinking of a renting a hand held belt sander for the floor and tops of railing.
The vertical spindles and corners I might use a stripper.

Is that a normal way to proceed?

Old 09-25-13, 03:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Belt sanders can be difficult to control. IMO an orbital sander while a little slower would be a better option. I'm not big on sanding the decking. All the nails/screws would need to be countersunk to prevent them from chewing up the sandpaper. The gaps between the boards are also hard on the paper.

Old 09-25-13, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am about to apply Rustoleum coating over my 10 year old (or more) deck. I applied a solid color stain about 7 years ago, but some has peeled, so I had it power washed a month or two ago and most of the old stain is still in good shape and would not come off (80% is still there).

I will use the over priced stuff/goop to fill the nail holes and cracks and then the "super stuff" and expect to use more than they say. All I am worried about is the unknown weather for the next month while is cures.

MN can have some strange weather. I am just worried about the dripping through the cracks to the exposed concrete patio below since tarps are . If it works, I will have better traction between the snow and deck when I run out to the grill at -0F. - It will be interesting.

Dick

Old 09-26-13, 09:07 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Dick,

There's a simple solution to your having to grill in the cold, freezing temps. Just install a built-in grill in the house, either free-standing in the basement, or part of that fire place in your family room you've always wanted to remodel.

Being from Wisconsin and loving good German bratwurst, I grew up with a history of indoor grills. My Pa built one in our basement when I was about 8 or 9 years old, a free-standing galvanized steel and steel angle contraption he bolted together and mounted on an exterior concrete wall. I had a custom-made, stainless steel one as part of a brick fire place in a new house I had built 20 years later. They both worked extremely well, and made grilling in the cold winter months something to look forward to.

Old 09-26-13, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bridgeman -

I really do not mind the cold temperatures when grilling and don't bother put extras on to go out the 4 feet to my gas grill on the deck. My wife can't understand but she says I am half Norwegian/Swedish, half German and half homing pigeon. I like to hear the cold snow crunch. If I get serious I use my charcoal grill on the patio below, but sometimes there are drifts in a good year.

I was really concerned about the relatively new coating material over some existing materials since it looks good (but pricy) and should fill the bill for the rest of the year when we are on the deck much more.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: