help with cedar deck stain color problem

Old 09-27-13, 09:29 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help with cedar deck stain color problem

Hi there!

I live in Austin Texas and just had a professional deck company rebuild my wooden deck and staircase, using cedar. They did a great job until they applied the stain ... when they used the *wrong* color. (seems they mislabeled the samples). So all the cedar came out orange instead of brown!

So my main question is: How do we remedy this???

General specs:
1) cedar deck and stairs in hot Austin TX, partial shade.
2) Deck and stairs built 2 months ago, stained 1 month ago.

Questions: I'm not sure what to ask here, but I'm thinking:

1) Can we just apply a second coat, and of darker stain color? (to turn it brown) If not, need it be stripped of color somehow first?
2) How long should we wait to apply the remedy?
3) What else should I be asking or doing to remedy the color error??

Much obliged,
Dan

Old 09-27-13, 01:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
Welcome to the forums Dan!

First you need to find out what stain they used. Some stains can be recoated at any time while others have a specific recoat window after which the stain either needs to be removed or well weathered before more can be applied. If the current stain is the type that can be recoated at any time - it may well be as simple as applying another coat in the color you want.

Old 09-27-13, 01:55 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much. Okay I found he used TWP (Total Wood Protectant) 120 PECAN. Their website doesn't indicate re-apply time... any ideas on how long it needs to wait?

Also, will applying a different stain color over the existing (say applying brown over the orange) create some otherly-different color? Should we try a few inconspicuous areas first? What should be my plan??

Much obliged, Dan.

Old 09-28-13, 03:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
I've never used any TWP [don't think it's sold in my area] but I'm led to believe it's similar to Flood's CWF which does have a specific recoat time. That would lead me to believe it needs to be stripped before you can apply a different color stain.

I didn't see any specific recoat instructions on their web site either but did find this page where you can post questions about their products - Need Some Help With TWP Stains? | TWP Stain Help and Instructions

There are a lot of things that determine the final color so it would probably be best to test your new stain color before committing to the entire deck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: