Patio design ideas

Old 09-29-13, 05:22 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio design ideas

'Evening everyone,

I'm moving into a new house soon and was toying with the idea of making the backyard a little nicer (time and budget permitting). I'm thinking of putting in a flagstone patio and firepit. Without getting into too much detail right now, attached is a draft of one idea. I'm just looking for some constructive criticism, ways to improve, or any other ideas! Thanks!

Name:  patio.jpg
Views: 2130
Size:  33.2 KB

Cheers

Old 09-29-13, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 937 Votes on 855 Posts
I have a comment. Those chairs definitely need to have cup holders for the beer.

While the shape is nice, that will be a lot of cutting/chipping to make that rounded perimeter.

Old 09-29-13, 08:28 PM
The roof over your grill should not be made of flammable materials that will either disappear or hold in the smoke from the grill.

The roof is an interesting idea for the winters in MN, but hared to justify in OK.

Dick

Old 09-30-13, 05:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 825 Posts
If you will be constructing the roof over the patio I would try to avoid a flat or shallow pitched roof. They are often just "added on" and can cause problems where they meet the house if not done properly. They also tend to look like afterthoughts and not part of the house. I prefer to see roofs that match the house's roof pitch and blend into the house's roof to help it look like it's proper and was meant to be there from the beginning.

If doing a fire pit with chairs around make sure the patio is large enough to accommodate the chairs. All too often I see them so small there is no room to slide the chair back to kick up your feet or to back up when the fire gets too hot. It's also nice to have room to walk around the chairs without having to walk on the lawn.

Old 09-30-13, 09:31 AM
A
Thanks for the input guys. The roof is already there and if I remember right its some sort of metal top with a wooden frame. There'd probably have to be some reconstruction or maybe just removal of it..

Old 09-30-13, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
Personally I like your layout. We have had a grill in a wood framed 10' x 12' screened building up at the lake and have never had any issues other then smoke, which I will address sometime. Building has been up for over 10 years now.

Old 09-30-13, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the sketch's proportions are to scale, the difference in elevation between the covered patio floor and the curved walkway leading up to it could present a tripping hazard. The step appears to be just 3" or 4" tall, just enough to be a safety issue, especially for guests unfamiliar with it. Either eliminating the step completely, or going with at least a 7" tall riser height will minimize the hazard.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: