Patio Support Post Base Retrofit

Old 09-30-13, 01:06 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Support Post Base Retrofit

I have a covered patio in my backyard; one side fixed to the house, the other standing on 4 4x4 posts seated in anchors poured into our patio. We moved in a couple years ago, and when we started painting this past year we noticed the posts are rotten and need to be replaced.

The posts are anchored with standard pour in place Simpson PB style anchors:

PB/PBS Regular and Standoff Post Bases

I'm sure this is why they're rotting so bad, since they are basically in contact with the patio.

I really really don't want to have to cut the anchors out and replace them. Is there any way I can retrofit my own post standoff to get them up off the concrete? I found these through Simpson as well: CPS/PBV Standoff Bases, but I'm open to other suggestions. Can I make something, or use a material like Trex that won't rot? Concrete? Metal?

I've been scouring the internet for a while now, I figured it was time to actually ask someone.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-13, 03:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Yes, use the stand off pieces supplied by Simpson. You'll naturally have to elevate your deck using a jack and support to cut off a portion of the post, but you can use adhesive such as PL Advanced or 8X to keep it in place and reattach the anchor to the post.