Under Deck waterproofing.

Old 09-30-13, 09:00 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Under Deck waterproofing.

My son bought a home that has a freestanding outdoor deck. It is about 12' high and he wants to somewhat waterproof under the deck for additional storage.
I know there are many ways to do this during construction and In the past, I have installed roofing panels under a deck and also installed plastic underneath, but this will be difficult because of the way this deck is constructed.
I am thinking about caulking between the 5 quarter decking boards with 100% silicone caulking or another product that will allow movement of decking boards.
I realize this sounds silly, and I have never heard of this but I can not think of another way.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-13, 10:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I wouldn't caulk the decking! The caulk will fail sooner or later and will be unsightly once the dirt/grime gets stuck to the caulking. You need to figure out a way to capture and drain the water from below the deck. Posting some pics might generate some ideas.

Old 10-03-13, 06:49 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you ever used a deck drain? There's a product called DEK Drain that captures and diverts rainwater keeping the area under a raised deck dry.

Old 10-03-13, 07:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
We just finished one today. We are fortunate to have a metal fabricator who runs his steel roofing materials and forms it at the same time from flat rolls. I just have him run it in reverse, so the color is on the bottom. We build frame members using strings and levels and attach the roofing to them screwing into the raised part, allowing the water a wide place to travel. With proper pitch the water will drain well. I'll get some pix tomorrow and post them.