Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Two-level deck attached to steel frame home - no lag bolts through ledgers?

Old 10-05-13, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am in process of purchasing a home in NY. The home was built 1997 and includes a fairly basic two level deck.

The house has a masonry foundation and the main structure and roof are steel frame with plywood sheathing.

The engineering inspection noted that there are no lag bolts through the ledger beam supporting the deck into the main structure. He explained that in order to correctly install a better fastening system, holes would have to be drilled through the wooden ledger and through the steel but that there is no access behind the steel to attach the bolts.

Overall, he does not seemed to be concerned but how else would the two level deck be attached to the house? The assumption is that the deck is original - but I have no idea how it is fastened to the house. How would you go about improving the structural integrity of the deck or even verifying how the heck it is attached currently?

Although the decking boards and rail tops are worn and need replacing the structural / framing components of the deck are in great shape. Both levels seem sturdy enough - there is 0% movement for what that is worth. The bottom level is just above ground-level, but the top deck is HIGH.... I would NOT want to be up there if there was a failure, that's for sure.

I attached a pic but it does not show the ledger boards.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-13, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The deck must be bolted or secured in some manner to the structure since it is not free standing. Could you post more pictures of the underside of the attachment points (ledger)? No close ups, we need a full view if possible over many of the joist bays. How do you get off the upper deck? He didn't mention that? Jumping is not an option.

Old 10-07-13, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
FWIW, your report explains what should be done but this is carriage bolts, the incorrect product lag bolt was mentioned.

Old 01-06-14, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for replies and apologies for long delay. I still do not own the home - in progress...
The top deck has no stair to other level or ground. It is simply a deck with sliders to dining / kitchen area.
The bottom deck is ground level - I have not tried to get a view underneath yet to see if attachment is similar to higher deck.

I have attached a couple more photos.
Is it possible that carriage bolts (not lags - ty for correction) are all directly behind joist hangers?

If you have any further comments on this I would definitely appreciate. Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 01-06-14, 10:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
are all directly behind joist hangers?
Nobody's that good, so the carriage bolts should be visible both inside and out. Your pix weren't straight on enough for us to see any carriage locations.