Must i use J-Channel to terminate siding above deck boards?

Old 10-07-13, 02:15 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Must i use J-Channel to terminate siding above deck boards?

Do I need to use J-Channel after I cut the siding to fit my new deck? Attached are pictures of how it currently is (deck boards not secured in place yet), I just trimmed it so it fits and touches the top of the flashing/ledger board. If I must use J-Channel, what is the purpose of it?
I'm kind of at a stopping point as I want to make sure I get this right before I continue any further. I have seen decks online in which some are using a J-Channel and some are not, so I'm really not sure which way to go.

Thanks

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-13, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 334 Votes on 307 Posts
Ordinarily I would say yes, but it looks like it is laying back pretty nice. A lot of the time the wind might be able to catch that piece and make the middle start to get floppy unless it's captured inside a j-channel. that would be the main reason to use it... it prevent the bottom edge from being floppy or wavy. It might be laying nice now, but I bet in a few years it may get a little loose or wavy.

J-channels like that catch a lot of water, so if you do use one on the bottom (I would probably recommend it) I like to drill 3/8" holes in the bottom every 12" or so to let water drain out. No one will see the holes because the siding covers them up.

Old 10-07-13, 04:12 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Once the sun hits it or there's a temperature change it's going to buckle because the bottom locking seam has been removed.
There should have been one of two things, a starter strip, or the J moulding and you take the bottom part you trim off and insert it into the J to help hold it tight against the face of the J.

Old 10-07-13, 04:17 PM
S
Thanks for the response. I would think without a J-Channel I would get a lot of water between the first deck board and the house. I'm leaning towards using one and like the idea of drilling a couple holes to help all the water drain. if I do go this route, would I just put the first deck board 1/4-1/2 inch away from the house and cut the siding to where the J channel sits right on the deck board? What about using undersill is that even an option or is J-Channel the best route.

Old 10-07-13, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
A finish trim (undersill) is not an option because of where the cut falls on the lap. Water between the house and deck ledger should not be any problem since you SHOULD have a metal flashing against the house, over the ledger, and under the first deck board. The j-channel can sit on the deck, but the siding should be loose in the j-channel. You might need to trim another 1/8 or 1/4" off of the siding so that it's loose.

If you want some space under the j-channel for drainage, cut a 1/8" strip off of a 2x4 on the table saw, and lay this strip down before you nail the j-channel on. Then after it's nailed, pull the spacer out. This will help you get a nice even 1/8" gap.

Old 10-07-13, 06:46 PM
S
Thanks all, J-Channel it is.

Old 10-08-13, 09:42 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How come in the first picture there are no joists occupying the joist hangers?

Old 10-08-13, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
All the pics show a finished deck. what pic are you looking at?

Old 10-08-13, 10:50 AM
S
Not sure what's he's talking about either.