Prices of dimensional lumber

Old 11-04-13, 07:16 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prices of dimensional lumber

I just finished building a large outdoor deck. I am now to my next project that requires regular number two boards.
In my area, one by lumber is almost twice the price of the same size Two by.
I don't buy a lot of lumber and it's been quite some time since my last purchase.
Why is one by, twice the price of two by??

Old 11-04-13, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 992 Votes on 903 Posts
2x is generally heartwood, and stable. 1x is not just 2x cut in half. It's from the next layer of the tree, mainly outside of the heartwood. Select lumber in wide dimensions is harder to come by, so the price goes up accordingly. Plus the cost to resaw, plane, sand, cull twisted and warped boards, etc.

If you want cheap lumber, just go to a Menards store and look at the quality of their "#3" grade lumber. I don't even think a pallet company could use it. GIANT knots, cups, twists, warps... Our local lumber yard stocks #2 & btr, but you pay for that kind of quality.

Old 11-04-13, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Giles, your 1x prices sound about par for the course. I spent $8.76 each for 8' (tight-knots) 1 x 6s last week. The 2 x 6s were only $3.29 each. I guess a guy could plane down some 2 x 6 stock if he had the right equipment, and didn't mind the risk of losing a few thumbs in the process.

"Never take your eyes off the moving blade(s), even after the tool is turned off." That's a quote from my 7th-grade shop instructor, who was missing an entire thumb.

I still have both of mine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: