Pressure treated wood filler question

Old 11-05-13, 04:42 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pressure treated wood filler question

I just had a pressure treated back porch added to our home and stained it a solid-stain white. It's beautiful but when standing inside the porch and looking up it's easy to see lots of dark colored nail hold that look like they should be filled. photo at - http://goo.gl/yKXg9w

The builder said not to use wood filler or caulk because pressure treated wood will expand and contract and it the filler material will fall out. What (if anything) can I use to fill the holes?

Thanks.

Old 11-05-13, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I'd probably use an exterior painter's putty, like Sherwin Williams Glazing compound 66 or Crawford's painter's putty. He may be right, it may eventually get dry and crack, but it can always be refilled or replaced if needed.

Old 11-06-13, 03:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I would have used either SWP's 66 glazing or latex caulk before applying the stain. While PT wood isn't as stable as kiln dried white wood, since it isn't the decking - I wouldn't be overly concerned with the filler popping out.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 11-06-13, 05:11 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How long did you wait for the lumber to dry out before staining?
Should have waited at least a few months unless you used kiln dried after treatment wood.
I also would not use a filler.
If you remove the screw and use a combination drill and counter bore you can put the screw back in and use wooden plugs sanded smooth to hide the holes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: