deck help please!

Old 11-06-13, 06:29 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
deck help please!

My mom had a deck put in about 7 years ago, it has had zero maintenance. My 450lb sister lives with my mom. She smokes on the deck and says she gets splinters. I've spent tons of time there barefoot and have Never experienced that. So, now my mom wants the deck cleaned (lotsa dog hair) and sealed. There are 2 or 3 small areas of mildew where the sprinklers hit it. I believe the wood is treated pine. My plan is to use some kind of stripper, not sure if I need it but ....just in case, then gently power wash it-though I've never used one....then clean it with a bleach solution and scrub brush.Rinsing inbetween. I figure that will take a full day. The next day I hope to seal it with Thompsons Advanced...I forget the name. Here are my questions.... How's my plan? Do I have to sand anything? It's about 525 sq ft. including rails. The desired end result is a wood deck that is pretty and user friendly. Do I need to fill in the areas like where the wood isn't even because of knots or nail holes and such? (I don't think I do but what do I know?)
I plan to reseal every year, what prep do I need to do next year? Please help, I've done hours of research and now I'm just confused.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice!:

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-13, 06:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Aside from wearing shoes, I would not have a recommendation for sis, since decks are wood, and wood has splinters. Is the deck stained or painted at this time? What would the stripper do for you? If it is bare pressure treated wood, then it could possibly be cleaned with a commercial deck cleaner and a pressure washer. I like to use a pump up sprayer with the cleaner in it, and apply it, removing it with the pressure washer before it has a chance to dry. Cleaning it one day is good. You will need to wait until the wood dries out before you can apply any type of sealer or stain on it, so allow several sunny days for that. Thompson's Advanced, is a good product, but I found it to be a little oily after the application, and haven't used it since. Have you considered a semi transparent or solid stain for the deck. I just finished over our old deck with a product from HD called Restore. It is a solid textured stain that fills in good on the splits and cracks, and provides a good traction surface. Cheap? No. But reasonable for the end result. Sis may even like it

You may even want to post a few pictures of the deck so we can see what you are seeing. We may have other advice that may help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 11-07-13, 06:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
My SOP for cleaning a deck is to rinse it off, apply a 50/50 solution of bleach/water [never stronger!] with a pump up garden sprayer, let it set but not dry and then rinse with a PWer [water hose will also work] Stubborn areas might require a 2nd treatment or scrubbing with an old broom.

Once the deck is cleaned, I let it's condition be the determining factor on what type of stain to use. I shy away from TWS as it has a short life [6-12 months] Usually a neglected deck isn't a good candidate for a clear or transparent stain. A semi-transparent stain might be a good fit for your deck depending on how well it cleans up. Solid stains are great for older decks that don't clean up well [it hides a lot] Always make sure you use a deck stain as siding stains won't hold up on decks!

Pics would be nice