Round decks/railings/joists

Old 02-24-01, 09:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am beginning to design a deck for my home. I have seen a number of photos of decks that have round segments. These have rounded railings, the decking is rounded, and the outside joist(correct name?) is also round.

I know how to do the decking - thats just a matter of marking a line on the decking and then cutting with a jigsaw.

I don't know how to get round railing caps, or rounded joists underneath the decking.

ANy ideas?

Thanks,

John G.

Old 02-25-01, 07:11 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Check your local library for books on deck design. There are several ways to achieve circular decks (or circular segments in decks). For the joists, most involve bending 1/2" or 3/4" boards to form the outer rim joist. This is usually just a decorative piece, since 1/2" or 3/4" lumber is not going to be sturdy enough to bear a load. That is usually accomplished by the 2X material behind it. Cutting the deck boards (once they are in place) in a circular pattern can be accomplished with a jig saw or a Sawzall. Find the center point of the circle or curve, draw a line of the proper radius, then cut the line.

Old 02-26-01, 04:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile How to bend 1/2 inch wood

Thanks for the reply. For the rim joists, do you use pressure treated lumber, or non-pressure treated? Also, to bend the boards, do you soak them in water first, or just bend them dry and screw them in place? I would assume that if I'm using PT, then water is not going to make a difference, right?

Thanks again!

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: