Adding Roof To Attached Pergola Over Patio? Help!

Old 11-27-13, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Roof To Attached Pergola Over Patio? Help!

I bought my first home a few months ago and the patio area with pergola nearly sold me, except I knew that once I moved in- I wanted to cover it. We get a good bit of rain here in Florida but also get year round great weather- I don't want to be stuck inside whenever it is raining. We also entertain a good bit outside and watch football games and such outdoors.

My hopes are to be able to cover this pergola that currently exists. We were thinking of a galvanized steel rustic look like some of the pub/patio bars you might see have. Seems it would also be cheap. That idea isn't fixed in stone, but it is what we have talked about. We definitely don't want to screen it in. Our future plans involved hanging a TV outside, hanging a large fan from the ceiling, possibly an outdoor kitchen, putting in a hot tub, adding a chiminea, and just making it a great outdoor space. It all starts with covering the space!

I have never done roof work or any major home renovation, I can build furniture and do wood projects and have most tools available to me. However, I do have friends to assist.

If you are familiar with Florida homes, we have many with flat roofs. In our case, we have both flat roof and gable roof...but only flat butting up to this current pergola. The original home was gable and then many years ago, they connected the garage with the home and covered it with flat. I am worried about rain runoff from the flat roof to the existing pergola (if it is even possible to cover).

Where would I even start? Or is this something I should hire someone to do? If so, what kind of $ am I talking? Maybe we are looking at tearing down the wood and completely starting over? I can't call it.

We want it done right and I figured if it was simpler than I thought; I have more time than money. However, we are willing to pay up if that is what is necessary.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I sit on this patio almost every night looking up in confusion on where to begin and envision it completed so we can enjoy.

EDIT: Attachment doesn't seem large as it should be and harder to read. Go to this link to view larger:

http://i.imgur.com/dM0KrIT.jpg

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-13, 03:28 PM
Temporarily Suspended
A galvanized steel roof could be quite noisy when the rain hits it. Some canvas products might work. If you decide to use plywood with shingles, make sure that the pergola will hold the weight.l

Old 11-29-13, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Metal roofing can not be install on a curved roof like in your drawing.
Any roofing will need to be tied into that wall on the side.