14 rise deck stairs - do I need a landing?

Old 11-29-13, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
14 rise deck stairs - do I need a landing?

I am building deck stairs for my daughter from an upper deck to the backyard. The total run is around 12' and the total rise is about 8'6". There will be 14 rises of 7-3/16" and step runs will be 11" (2 2x6). Stringer length comes out to about 14'3".

Do I need a landing to break up the flight, or can I just do a single flight?

If it matters, this will be built in Oakland, CA.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-13, 10:59 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Flight Height

Found this:

IBC Stairs Code

Scroll down to 1009.6 - Vertical Rise

Old 11-29-13, 11:35 AM
I don't think you'll need a landing. The most important thing if you don't already know this is to make sure all your lumber is placed with the crown of the board up. This goes for the 2 x 6 treads as well. If you're not sure which side of the board holds the crown, look at the end of the board and place the board down with the rings in the shape of an "n" not a "u".

Old 11-29-13, 12:01 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Not a pro, but have built a few stairs.
I've witnessed two people tumble down stairs and it makes one think a landing would have been nice. Neither were hurt, fortunately.

A heel kick, my terminology, where the run starts behind the nose of the step above. I usually extend the nose one inch past the kick board to provide this space. Unfortunately, I do not believe this one inch can be counted as run length. But, I lived a short while in an apartment where the nose of the stairs were flush with the kick board and it tended to push one's foot position too far forward. This is one of the two tumbles I mentioned, my wife. Ladies shoes often have a very small toe area and if the heel cannot recede under the above tread nose, then it can slip over the nose on current step. I'll stop babbling.

Bud

Old 11-29-13, 12:33 PM
Great tips, thanks to all. I may just leave the rises open, but if I don't I'll plan on a nose projection of about 1"

Cheers!

Old 11-29-13, 02:53 PM
Depends on closed or open stringer, solid risers, handrail grip; start pp.4, Figs. 27, 28, 30, 33-34; http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Gary

Old 11-29-13, 07:44 PM
Gary, great resource, thanks much!

Old 11-30-13, 05:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I am a little leery of making a single run of 14+ feet with a 2x12 stringer system without allowing for a central support with proper footings about halfway along the run. You won't need a landing but the support I mention will make the run more stable. Post and beam to footings.

Old 11-30-13, 07:54 PM
You are welcome, glad we could help!

Gary

Old 12-06-13, 10:46 AM
Chandler - sage advice, will do.

Old 12-06-13, 07:45 PM
Specifics are on page #21; "STAIR REQUIREMENTS
Stairs, stair stringers, and stair guards shall meet the requirements shown in Figure 27 through Figure 34 and Table 6 except where amended by the local jurisdiction. All stringers shall be a minimum of 2x12. Stair stringers shall not span more than the dimensions shown in Figure 28. If the stringer span exceeds these dimensions, then a 4x4 post may be provided to support the stringer and shorten its span length. The 4x4 post shall be notched and bolted to the stringer with (2) " diameter through-bolts with washers per Figure 8. The post shall be centered on a 12" diameter or 10" square, 6" thick footing. The footing shall be constructed as shown in Figure 34 and attached to the post as shown in Figure 12." You may have more stringent requires being in a seismic zone as I am also.... you'll find out when getting the permit, lol.

Gary