Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Permit Required for adding outdoor kitchen and doors to existing structure?

Old 12-25-13, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I would like to place gas grill, cooktop sink, refrigerator and counters to existing area which is pre-plumbed for an outdoor kitchen with electricity, water, gas lines and drains to an outdoor patio area. Additionally I would like to place bi-folding type of doors (Panoramic Doors), each being 8' x 10' to enclose this outdoor kitchen area (see photo). There is already a functional ventilation vent/fan above planned grill. So all electricity, water, gas, drains already present. Lastly I plan to place engineered wood flooring in this area (acclimated over 2 yrs). This area is shielded from weather from West, North and South, and gets very little direct sunlight. I DO NOT intend to heat or cool this area, so this space would not be considered additional living space or increase square footage as far as I understand. There will be no structural changes made to the existing structure other than framing the doors into place. Would a permit be required for this work? It is located in Clark County Nevada.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-13, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 511 Votes on 481 Posts
You didn't mention if gas is already run to the location.

Old 12-25-13, 04:10 PM
Yes just edited post to indicate gas is there already.

Old 12-26-13, 03:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Your best answer would come from your local permit office. Some locales are very lax and others want to charge a permit for everything. When I moved from Orlando back in the early 90's, my boss along with a bunch of other paint contractors were in the process of taking the local jurisdiction to court as they had passed a rule requiring a permit for any paint job that exceeded $1k.

Old 12-31-13, 09:30 PM
I think you would do well to incorporate a few skylites into the proposed outdoor kitchen area. Doing so would make it far more inviting and practical to use, as opposed to the "dungeon effect" that's there now.

Old 09-27-15, 08:56 AM
In Doraville, GA. you need a permit for everything. The township needs all the money it can get. The community is slowly becoming Sec 8 with a large immigrant population. As a result property values are declining. So they can't count on property taxes for operating funds.

Old 09-27-15, 09:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Having lived there for a number of years, I saw the transition in Doraville. First the Marta station. Permits are needed for sure. This thread is two years old, so the OP may not respond.

No dogs running around loose in Doraville. Best thing to come out was The Atlanta Rhythm Section