Pavers as wall cladding

Old 12-27-13, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pavers as wall cladding

I have purchased some long sandstone paving planks (approx 850mm x 150mm x 20mm) to use as wall cladding on new blockwork walls around my patio. Any ideas on the best adhesive to use to fix these on? Thoughts appreciated. Thanks. Michael.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-13, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
Where are you located and what is your climate like? There are some very good industrial adhesives and then there is old fashioned mortar but a concern with either will be moisture getting behind the pavers if you ever experience freezing weather.

Old 12-27-13, 09:10 AM
We are in Scotland, UK. Frequently wet and, in winter, freezing. Suspect I'll need something with a pretty insant bobd to hold them in place on the wall pretty much on contact which maybe rules mortar out?

Old 12-27-13, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
I've done a lot of real stone veneering on vertical walls using mortar and we go through frequent freeze/thaw cycles for 3 or 4 months of the year. I use a rich type S mortar and butter the wall with a thin coat pressed on firmly. Then I butter the back of the stone to insure good adhesion and build up a cone of mortar. When pressing on the wall the cone of mortar works outward insuring there are no air pockets or voids behind the stone. Tap in place with a rubber mallet to further insure good adhesion. Even heavy, solid, real stones an inch thick will stick to a vertical surface. Pack all the joints flush with the surface with wet mortar making sure to not leave any voids. Then depending on temperature come back several hours later and brush the firmed mortar out of the joints with a wire brush to the depth and look you want.

Make sure to time the work accordingly to allow time to brush out. The brushing out should be done when it takes some pressure with the brush and it creates dryish sand like bits. If the mortar is sticking to the brush or smearing onto the face of your pavers wait longer. In warm/hot weather the brushing down can be done within a couple hours. As the temperature drops it really slows down and can take 6 or 8 hours. If you get in that situation suck it up and get out there in the middle of the night if you have to. The brushing is quick & easy but if you let the mortar cure too much (like the following morning) it will be too hard and you're stuck with it.

Old 12-27-13, 03:38 PM
Many thanks. Will the mortar hold these biggish planks in place OK from first placement onto the wall or will I need to support them somehow? Also, what is 'Type S' mortar? Thanks. Michael.

Old 12-31-13, 06:22 PM
Type S mortar is a stronger mix (yielding higher compressive strengths) than the normally-used Type N, having a higher proportion of Portland cement because of lesser amounts of lime and sand. It also has greater bonding strength than N does. A potential problem with using it on sandstone is that it can possibly be too strong, and actually cause the sandstone to fracture adjacent to bond lines, under certain stress conditions.

Maybe the Dane or someone else having more stone experience than I have can provide additional info on which would be best to use with your sandstone. Should nothing be forthcoming on this site, it might be worth your while to discuss the matter with a good mason or two in your area.