Changing a 3 season room into one that can be used year-round

Old 12-27-13, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing a 3 season room into one that can be used year-round

I am a first-time home owner. The house has a three season porch on the back. It is a full room built onto the house year ago. It is set almost 2 feet off the ground and there is no attic space between the ceiling and roof. There is drywall on 3 sides and the remaining side is two sets of French doors. There are also two very small slide windows on the other walls. The floor is wood and the ceiling is also a wood floor (the roof is currently a metal roof but I am thinking of changing it to rubber).

The room is pretty cool looking but since I live in New England it has been freezing cold since October. I would like to turn it into something that can be used year round. I remember at the home inspection that the inspector said I could not just add a heat source to the room without changing the roof because there were venting issues which would lead to moisture problems. This was not included in the report and I cannot remember the specifics. I have talked to others about this and no one seems to think this makes sense.

I am looking for any guidance you can provide on what I need to do or consider in order to make this a room that can be used year round.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-13, 07:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to need some pictures.

Old 12-27-13, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 206 Posts
Rooms like that usually need to be built with the idea that they are going to be 4 season rooms. You will have a hard time doing what you want. Pictures would help us see what you see. We are guessing blind here.

My best guess would be that you will obviously have to remove all the drywall, and if there is anything UNDER the room covering the bottom of the structure, it will have to be removed. This is so that you can have a professional company come in and spray foam the entire thing... floor joists, ceiling joists and walls. If you plan to change the roof, you would have to do that first, assuming there is no roof sheathing over the rafters.

You would also want to have a heating/air conditioning guy out to determine what's the best way to heat and cool the space. Usually a separate heat/ac wall unit is the most economical answer. If you're not worried about A/C then you might consider electric heat, assuming you won't be blocking all the walls with furniture.

Is Addy a first name or last? Its my last name.

Old 12-27-13, 08:20 PM
Why not pick the brains of a few good local HVAC people? Have them come out to give estimates for heating/cooling the room, either by tapping into the existing house's heating system or installing a new, stand-alone system. Most won't charge you anything for giving estimates. Don't forget to tell them what your home inspector told you.

Old 12-27-13, 08:47 PM
First thank you both for responding so quickly.
It sounds like this can be quite the project. I will look into getting someone tout to the house to get an estimate and idea. I am also attaching a few pictures if it could help. A view from the outside that gives an idea of the height off the ground (nothing under it but dirt) and then the side view from the outside and an inside shot.

Addy is a nickname actually. Short for Adriana.

Attached Images    
Old 12-27-13, 09:39 PM
I'd be (strongly) tempted to tie the room into the rest of the house by doing something creative with the roof line. No easy task, with the 2nd floor windows up there. But at least something to think about.

As an aside, just think--if you were to marry XSleeper, your name would then be Addy Addy.