How to attach composite fascia

Old 01-02-14, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to attach composite fascia

putting some composite fascia on the front of my deck - Azek white - and the local deck store said I should use these special fasteners from Tibertech and a special bit that bores and countersinks for the fastener - apparently the fascia will crack without some give.

My question - has anyone else used composite fascia and how did you secure it to the joist?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-14, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 236 Votes on 216 Posts
I have never had any trouble with synthetic material like that cracking. If just screwing into the face you're left with a screw head sticking out or a bulge of material if you try to screw it down below the face of the material. Drilling and countersinking allows the screw head to recess making a nice clean look and you can even fill the hole with white caulk. I use either stainless steel screws or deck screws intended for use with modern treated lumber which have added corrosion protection. And the drills with built in countersink can be purchased at most home centers.

Old 01-02-14, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 206 Posts
I've screwed on miles of Azek and have never had any of it crack. You can use any sort of composite trim screws with no predrilling and no mushroomed heads. The kind they are recommending are probably the Fastenmaster Cortex screws that also come with plugs for the holes. They are a bit too expensive for my taste, but would provide a pretty clean finish. But not invisible.

If you are going to paint the Azek you can fill the holes with any type of filler. But if you plan to leave it white it's best to use a white filler. JB Waterweld is one that's easy to use. Trimbonder is a white epoxy that works too, but it requires sanding and usually a second application. Sanding either the Trimbonder or the JB Waterweld will almost completely hide the fasteners.