Replace section of deckboad with floor grating

Old 01-09-14, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace section of deckboad with floor grating

Hi there!
Anyone know where or from who I can locate a section of floor grate material that I can use to replace a section of the deckboards in front of a door? I'm in Mass. I see this in ski areas condos in New England that allows one to stomp the snow off you boots/shoes and allows it to fall to the ground below instead of tracking it in the house. I liked it so much I wanted to place it in on my deck at home and can cover it with a mat in the spring/summer..
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-14, 01:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look in the yellow pages under steel.
Use galvanized or stainless steel if you do not want it rusting up.
You can buy it by the foot.

Old 01-09-14, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you can find an old floor furnace grate, it would work. It is already trimmed. Just remove deckboards and install perlins for a good fit. As Joe mentioned, however you may have to paint every season.

Old 01-10-14, 12:57 AM
Do a search on Craigslist, under "steel grating." I see private parties advertising it around here from time to time, although most have been pretty proud of it (asking more than what it cost new). Another possible source would be local salvage yards, especially those that specialize in building demolition materials. If you want to splurge and buy new, try finding a Gripstrut dealer--it's about the best stuff out there, and you will never slip on it.

If I lived in serious snow country, I know grating is something I would install at all deck entrances. Relatively inexpensive, easy to install, and would work miracles in keeping snow and crud out of the house. Hint--if you can't find galvanized grating, I'd suggest giving what you use a double coat of zinc-rich paint after thoroughly cleaning it (such paint is pricey, and usually available only at steel or industrial supply places, not big box stores). It will slow down the corrosion process considerably.