Solid blocking installation question for deck.

Old 01-19-14, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Solid blocking installation question for deck.

Making slow and steady progress on my DIY deck re-framing with PT 2x12s @16"o.c. from existing ledger that wraps 3 sides of the back of our house out to existing drop beam. I pulled a permit from city of LA, CA for the work. I'm about to install a whole lotta 2x12 solid blocking and want to make sure I get it right. Decking will lay perpendicular not angled.

First question: The stagger method (with what appears to be 16d's faced nailed through the joists into the end grain of the blocks) seems fairly common in the how-to publications out there. The other method of course is to run it straight and toenail it all. Since I don't need to nail a subfloor along it like you would indoors I don't see why staggering would be bad, but at same time can't find anything in the code or elsewhere that indicates the "right" way to do it. Am I cool to stagger? Doing so will save a ton of time and lots of foul language.

Second: I will have one course of blocking that must be run in a straight line with toenails. Is there a method to nailing this that the inspectors like to see? Again, can't find that detail online anywhere.

All advice appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-14, 06:32 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since you already have a permit, ask the inspector. Why take any chances?

Old 01-20-14, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Agree. If he has no objection, I would snap a line and drive at a slight angle from the joist into the end of the blocking. The joist is more rigid and won't move around like your blocking will should you try to toenail it into the joist.