Patio resurfacing.

Old 02-08-14, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio resurfacing.

Hi, first time poster here.

I'd like to refinish my patio which is a worn salt finish and at one time was possibly terracotta but now is an ugly pinkish color. Besides the salt finish, there is a small amount of spaldiing in a few areas. I'm looking for suggestions as to what to use. I was thinking about a Quikrete product, possibly their concrete resurfacer or concrete patcher. If I ised the resurfacer I would either pour it on or apply it with a trowel.

Does anyone have any experience with Rustoleum's deck and patio restore? It appears to have a thick consistency. Is it thick enough to cover a salt finish?

Suggestions appreciated. I think you guys can probably visualize what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-14, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
welcome aboard ! ! !

'spalling' is the correct term - 2 sources are:
FAQs &
Concrete Overlays - Resurfacing Concrete with New Colors and Patterns - The Concrete Network
its usually due to 2 different pieces of conc grinding against each other as conc expands/contracts but can occur if something heavy's dropped on the conc, too,,, jnt spalls are common,,, most jnts aren't sealed to prevent jnt entry of 'incompressibles'

when resurfacing, we use squeegees & pool trowels,,, important you prep well - incl spall repairs,,, never repair spalls across joints/cracks,,, IF there are crks, they will 'reflect' up thru the overlay UNLESS you eliminate them by patching & installing a proper jnt pattern

been looking in apron/vest store's ? no experience w/QC products,,, we consider'd 'restore' [made in atl] @ 1 client's urging,,, based on a respected competitor's gawdawful experience, we declined,,, change's possible - believe rustoleum bought in 2 or 3 yrs ago but we can't take the chance & they don't offer test batches,,, since apron/vest store materials don't give us many 'warm fuzzies', we buy from pro supply houses

good luck