Deck must be sealed, need quick advise

Old 02-10-14, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck must be sealed, need quick advise

I need some help again, I built my deck in the summer, it is finally dried out and needs to be sealed while the weather holds out. I plan to do it tomorrow, it's already been cleaned and I gotta get it done.

It was built out of yellawood pressure treated boards. I want a clear, or slightly cedar color, but nothing dark or that hides the wood grain. I need something that will stop the mold and keep the wood looking nice. I live in central florida so sun and rain are ever present. I also want something that I don't have to strip to redo every few years. Something I can just clean the deck and reapply so it looks new again.

I know thompsons is out, to many bad reviews. I have a discount on sherwin williams deckscapes, but have read a lot of mixed reviews too.

Can anyone suggest a good deck sealer/stain? Also a good application method? I'd perfer a pump sprayer for ease, but I'm open to other ways if it will lead to better results. Thanks for the quick help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-14, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've had good luck with Cabots and Olympic.
A pump sprayer will just make a mess with overspray and not apply enough.
Roll then brush out with a 4" roller to work it into the cracks and low areas.
Do the railings first.

Old 02-10-14, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I've had decent results with DeckScapes. The main thing is to apply a liberal coat of whatever stain you use. I wouldn't use any clear stain! It sounds like you want a toner or translucent stain. I agree a pump up garden sprayer won't apply enough stain! I'd either apply the stain with an airless or roller. Any type of spraying needs to have the stain worked in by either back rolling or back brushing.

Oil stains don't fair well in the intense fla sun so that leaves latex or waterborne. As far as I know you can only get latex in a solid stain so that means you'll need to use waterborne. Most waterborne stains have a specific recoat time [if applying more than 1 coat] and have to either be stripped or weathered away before they can be recoated later on. You can add extra mildewcide to the stain which will help but more than a couple yrs is pretty ambitious for the life of a deck stain in fla.

Old 02-10-14, 04:25 PM
I don't really want a stain at all, I want a sealer to keep the deck from turning grey and mildewing. I like the natural color it has, but wouldn't mind if it looked more like cedar. I don't care if I have to clean the deck and reapply each year, as long as I don't have to strip it. I keep reading reviews about the deckscapes, has it ever peeled up in chunks on you? does it go on with even color? I'm paranoid, I have a nice looking deck and I don't want to goof it up.

So rolling it on and smoothing with a brush is the ideal method? My deck has no railings so it wouldn't be a problem. Thanks

Old 02-10-14, 05:11 PM
Ok nevermind on deckscapes, I just read more horror stories on how off the colors are and more. How about cabots, do they sell it at lowes?

Old 02-10-14, 05:29 PM
Crap this isn't my night, lol. Just called the 2 lowes in the area and they just had all cabot stuff pulled from the stores. No one else close to me sells it according to their site. Now what? Am I going to end up with thompsons, lol.

Old 02-11-14, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Clear deck stains/sealers have the shortest life span! That's why I suggested using a toner or translucent stain as it barely colors the wood but will hold up longer than the clear. I've never had any deck stain peel up in chunks Toners and semi-transparent stains tend to wear away although solid stains can at times peel but more in little 'slivers' not sheets.

Solid color stains generally are pretty consistent and match the sample but when you are using transparent or semi-transparent stains the color of the wood makes a big impact on the overall color of the wood.

I usually shy away from big box coatings as they tend to stock their coatings based more on low price than quality. Cabot makes some good stain but I don't know if the Cabot stains sold at the big box are their best or their cheapest. You generally get what you pay for. Check around with your local paint stores and see what they have to offer.

Old 02-11-14, 05:32 AM
Unfortunately I won't be able to get cabot anywhere around me. So now I'm back in the hunt and time is short as I have to source and buy everything in the next few hours.

I keep reading bad reviews on most of the deckscape products, except this one seems to have decent reviews. I know it's oil based but I still might give it a go, or just do a clear sealer for now until I can decide on a final course of action later.

DeckScapes® Exterior Oil Toner Stain - Homeowners - Sherwin-Williams

I gotta say this is all really frustrating, and I don't understand why their aren't a bunch of great products out there. I have cedar polyurethaned on my boat that has held up in the sun for years, but something more common like a deck you have to settle for just decent products? Well I've only got about 30 minutes to make a decision so who knows how it will work out.

Old 02-11-14, 06:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to paint in fla - oil base stains just don't hold up to the intense sun! SWP also offers a similar stain in a waterborne formula.

Old 02-12-14, 06:20 AM
olympic's our choice when we run into wood decks we also resurface w/encore [ no $ interest ]