Building a wood deck over existing in-ground concrete pool deck

Old 02-24-14, 04:58 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building a wood deck over existing in-ground concrete pool deck

My wife and I have an existing typical concrete in-ground pool deck, which is pretty dull. I would like to use it as a base for a wooden deck that will match the existing wooden deck attached to the house.

My plan is to attach pressure treated 2x4 sleepers to the existing concrete, 24" on center and 5/4x6 pressure treated deck boards on top of that.

It seems to make sense to my brain, but I wanted to see what others might think. I have a couple of specific questions;

1. Is there a problem with connecting the 2x4 on face directly to the concrete? Should I be concerned about the pressure treated lumber being in direct contact with the concrete? Should I allow some spacing under the 2x or will the pressure treated lumber resist rot enough?

2. There are some spots where the concrete has settled over the years and now slopes slightly toward the pool rather than away from it. It is slight, but it is there. Are there any ways of correcting this without having to dig up the existing concrete?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-14, 05:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
IMO it's never a good idea to install a deck close to the ground or in your case right above concrete. Moisture will get trapped under the deck and there won't be any air movement to help dry it out. 24" centers won't work, it needs to be 16"

Old 02-24-14, 05:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
1. In most areas 2x lumber is not treated for ground contact and should only be used in the open air where it can dry. In coastal areas 2x lumber is more commonly available with a higher preservative treatment but in most other areas of the country it must be special ordered. And like marksr said. It is generally not a good idea to have a wood deck on the ground.

2. You can use concrete patching or resurfacing mix to go on top of the existing concrete. Since it won't be visible the different colored areas of concrete won't matter.

Old 02-24-14, 08:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Not sure if it could be a diy project but a stamped concrete overlay would look nice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: