Brock Paver Base

Old 05-26-12, 08:13 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brock Paver Base

Anyone ever use Brock 36"L x 24"W Interlocking Paver Base Panel? (or Paverbase)
Brock Residential Pavers

It's supposed to be able to take the place of 4-5" of crushed stone. I have about 250sft and it would save me a ton of earth removal! It's about $13 through Lowes but it would save a ton of work.

Thanks to anyone who has used it for feedback!

Old 05-26-12, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It might work for light duty casual installations as a ground cover.

It is not a real paver, but looks like it. - How long do you plan to live there and what are the possible uses for the installed area?

Dick

Last edited by Concretemasonry; 05-26-12 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-26-12, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Dick...that's not the finished surface. You put the pavers on top of it.

See the 3rd pic here....Brock Residential Pavers

All those grooves and patterning are for drainage I'd imagine.

Old 05-26-12, 11:41 AM
Gunguy -

I did see the entire Brock site.

My concern was the life and suitability since it says you can lay down over almost anything. It looks good in the promotional photos, but I definitely would never use for in place of a real paver driveway and be reluctant on a sidewalk were any tilting can be a drainage and safety problem.

It is cute way they tries to sue the word "interlocking" (pattern only) as an attempt to copy real pavers where the interlock is structural for strength and stability.

It may be better than the "interlocking" molds to create a jigsaw shape out of Quikrete because there a little something under the topping surface.

Dick

Old 05-26-12, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Gotcha....didn't know if you had caught it's use.

Think it may be somewhat like those kits for spa supports. Just level the area and put these things out then set the spa. Haven't seen any in use to be able to really evaluate.

Old 05-26-12, 02:12 PM
C
Usage of Brock Paver Base

I plan to live there for a number of years. It's not recommended for driveway installations, but I'd like to use it for a back patio. There are a few Youtube videos on it, but a few of them are by someone promoting it.

Thought I'd see if it might be a reliable substitute for the rock.

Old 05-26-12, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
I think it might be kinda like the Kerdi shower base vs old school sand mix pans from a few years ago. Any new product will take a long time to be adopted and trusted. Until knowledgeable people use it and start recommending it...you won't see much info on it.

Who would have thought 10-15 yrs ago that people would be putting this little fuzzy membrane on regular sheetrock then putting tile on it and it would be completely waterproof? Or that they'd be using styrofoam for a shower base?

You notice on the Brock panel you linked...you still need to compact the area under it..then add sand before the base. Since it's 7/8" thick...imagine doing the same only putting a piece of 3/4" plywood down. As long as the underlying soil stays ok..then the pavers would stay just where they were placed (until the plywood rotted of course....doesn't seem like that would be the issue with the Brock stuff).

Old 05-26-12, 02:44 PM
C
Drainage?

Yeah, I understand the concept. My only concern is - isn't the 4-5 inches of crushed rock for drainage? If so, and crushed rock is no longer necessary, then how does this plastic piece with holes in it substitute for that? Or, is the crushed rock more for stability?

Again, it's not for a driveway, but a patio and saves lots of time. The youtube videos are interesting. I'm in the PNW and it rains plenty here.

Thanks!

Old 10-12-12, 09:38 AM
M
Lightbulb Brock Pave Base Panels

I recently purchased a home that the previous owners had laid a 24 inch sidewalk using 12" square pavers. Very poorly done and uneven and wobbly. I was looking for an easy way to remedy this and chose to use these paver base panels. So far I am very pleased with the results (still in process). I went one step further than required and added a sakrete pebble base prior to laying the sand. I think this walkway will stay even and last along time and of course I will be filling the cracks with polymeric sand to act as a mortar. The only place I have been able to find them locally is at Lowe's, unfortunately Home Depot doesn't carry them. At $13 for each 24"x36" panel it can add up. I've looked on Amazon and EBay to no avail. I would recommend this product.

Old 02-17-14, 08:00 PM
D
Sorry for digging up an old post, but any news on how they are holding up? I'm thinking of using these for a storage shed in Florida sand. The area gets wet, but hasn't flooded yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: