Quikrete concrete mix for paver base?

Old 02-17-14, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Quikrete concrete mix for paver base?

Main question is, I have 8 bags of this Quikrete cement mix the previous owner left that I'd like to get rid of. Can I throw these in with the gravel I'm going to use for a paver base I plan to build for my 7x7' Suncast storage shed? Will it clump up and turn to cement?

Extra background: The pavers will be the cheap 12" stepping stones. The soil is Florida sand. Area does not flood above the grass. I'm trying to save on buying so many bags of gravel / sand the experts say, not to mention we'd like to move this shed over a little closer to the fence after the permit inspection is done. We'll be modifying this as we go with a final border, maybe wood to keep the pavers from shifting.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-14, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 240 Votes on 219 Posts
Do you have cement or concrete mix? Cement is a gray powdery material used in concrete. Cement with aggregate/stone and sand added in the correct proportions makes concrete. Adding water to cement alone will cause it to harden but it will not have the same strength as concrete.

I would say "no" to mixing in cement or concrete mix in with the base material. You want the base material to be able to drain water away. Adding cement or concrete mix will impede this. Also your mix will probably be weak and end up cracking & crumbling.

Old 02-17-14, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure what you've really got, since the term "cement mix" is a bit confusing. Either it's pure Portland cement (a fluffy, gray powder), or a concrete mix composed of Portland cement, sand and rock. But in either case, if the stuff is still usable (hasn't hardened in the bag), adding it to a gravel/sand mix will cause things to set up and harden when moisture gets to it--once that happens, you won't be moving anything, as the slab you've created will weigh more than a ton.

Far better to just set the cheap stepping stones on a compacted sand/gravel base.

Old 02-17-14, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It's the mix with cement included. I wasn't sure if it would harden all that much if I stirred it in with the gravel, maybe with some water, but you guys are right, even if I prevented it from setting, I'm sure I'd get some big clumps that wouldn't break up after it dried. Thanks!