Need Entryway Where There is None

Old 03-05-14, 09:11 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Entryway Where There is None

Is there any way to add a small entryway to a half-cape brick house where the front door opens into a very narrow walkway to the kitchen, with the stairs (to upstairs) immediately behind the open front door and the LR immediately to the right? I considered bumping out a small entryway but our property line is only about 4' from the end of a small uncovered front porch/deck which is about 5'
wide.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it; thanks.

fstriegl

Old 03-06-14, 05:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It's probably doable but what is involved may or may not make it feasible. Could you post some pics so we have a better idea of what you have - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-23-14, 05:25 AM
F
Entryway

I have uploaded a simple floor plan - basically the property line is close to the front "porch" - hope the FP helps.

Porch is about 4 1/2 -5' deep.

I considered bumping out a small entry room (like a mud room but smaller) about 3' but that would mean either changing the steps, moving the door to face west (now faces north) in the process, but access would be convuluted at best - I can make more sketches if that helps.

Thanks. /F

Attached Images  
Old 03-23-14, 05:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
We can't see your house, but is it a possibility to move the front door to the other side of the living room? A right hand door would open against a dead wall rather than another walkway.

Old 03-23-14, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another option would be to make the front porch area a permanent room, heated and weatherized, such that you could eliminate the existing door completely. I'd even consider opening up an entryway between the rooms there, or at chandler's suggested door location, making it twice as wide as the door currently is.

Old 03-24-14, 05:28 PM
F
Entryway Woes

Thanks, Chandler and BridgeMan, for your replies -

- moving the front door is an interesting option, but there is only about 3' or less on the other side of the picture window in the living room, so not an easy fix.

- Closing in the porch is also interesting, but local building laws will not allow me to build anything so close to the property line.

Property line is just off the front porch (although there is a decent "front yard" which is on county property), and town requires a 15' I think offset.

Butting out a smaller version of the entryway onto the porch (adding a foundation for it) - do you think that would work? Porch is maybe 5' wide so if I took 2-3' that might do it but not easy and I do have to ask for that building permit...

I will attach a photo later today.

/F

Old 03-31-14, 02:39 AM
F
A Photo

Here is a simple (cell phone) photo of the house - not a lot of space to add too much... /F

Name:  House 140331.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  33.7 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: