Rising Deck

Old 03-12-14, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rising Deck

My aunt bought a mobile home last year that has 2 decks, one is on a cement slab and one is on dirt. Both have risen to the point where one of them has risen so much that the storm door only opens about 8 inches. Now the other deck, the storm door there is scrapping the deck. We live in Michigan and have had a very, unusually harsh winter. My aunt can't afford to have a cement slab put in under the deck where the door still opens. Can I just sand it down? Will sanding it fix it, or will it eventually need to be put on a slab?

Last edited by Amanda David; 03-12-14 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Submitted too soon lol
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-14, 02:14 PM
Temporarily Suspended
That might take more sanding than you think. You can probably raise the sweep on the bottom of the storm door. Most of them are adjustable. Look for screws on the inside of the door. Loosen them & pry the sweep upwards.

Old 03-13-14, 12:51 AM
"Sanding" is not an appropriate method of removing deck (or any) concrete. If raising the door's adjustable sweep doesn't work, you'll need to borrow or rent an angle grinder with a masonry wheel. It's a dirty, dusty job that requires lots of muscle, and a good dust mask. Before going that route, I'd consider trimming an inch or so off the bottom of the door, and then adding an after-market rubber sweep to provide some weather-proofing.

Old 03-13-14, 08:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got some pictures?
No way should that have been that close to the doors threshold.
In your area I'd guess code would call for about 6" below.
#1, What are you going to do when it snows with the deck that high?
#2, Great way to get water to run in under the doors threshold and rot out the floors.

Old 03-13-14, 08:39 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Since it is a mobile home, it may be possible to raise the home, rather than lower the decks. Depends on how the utilities are attached.

Old 03-13-14, 09:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
I wonder if the slab will lower when the weather warms up ??
I'd investigate shortening the posts on the decks, that should be cheaper/easier than raising the MH.

almost forgot welcome to the forums Amanda!

Old 03-13-14, 01:39 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Goldstar, if he has to raise the mobile home each time we time we have a winter like this one, someday it can be a duplex.