Cavity wall trays

Old 03-17-14, 11:06 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cavity wall trays

Hi, I am thinking of taking legal action against a home improvement firm.
They installed a porch to the front of the house against an exterior wall and door. It is now leaking from rain soaking into brickwork above the door and running into the inside of the porch. The company deny any liability but surely it was their job to fit trays on installation or at least advise me of the possible need for them ? The installation was 8 years ago and i have a valid 10 year guarantee.
i would be grateful for your views .

Thankyou

Old 03-17-14, 11:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Would there be a way for you to post a few pictures of the porch with all the problems? We don't give legal advice, but may pinpoint problem areas for you. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 03-17-14, 12:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
.... and could you better define what you mean by 'trays' ? Is there flashing between the roof and where it connects to the brick?

Old 03-17-14, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 323 Likes on 257 Posts
Just to throw in my 2cents since you asked, but if this just started 8 years later, I don't see how it's the problem of the home improvement firm. The guarantee would be about the porch itself, not a leak that's going into the porch from your roof or wherever.
I'm not following how someone that installs a porch is responsible for you never having leaks. If it was from something they did or didn't do, it would have happened before this, no?

Old 03-18-14, 04:46 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi thanks for the quick response. Perhaps this link will make things a bit clearer about what i'm on about Do you sell, survey and install cavity trays on Conservatories ? If you don
Yes, there is lead flashing and it is a flat lead roof.

Old 03-18-14, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 323 Likes on 257 Posts
But that doesn't mean you'll win a legal battle. What does your contract or paperwork say? If it didn't include this tray and you agreed to the terms, there's nothing you can do about it now, I don't think.
You can always get a free consult with a lawyer and ask, but I doubt they'll take your case.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: