post in ground or on pad? concrete?

Old 03-20-14, 07:22 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
post in ground or on pad? concrete?

Im building a 10x16 deck onto my cabin. Does it matter if I put those cardboard tubes in the ground and put the deck on top or put the 4x4 right into the ground with concrete? I would rather put the 4x4 into the ground as it will be faster and I only have 2 days to get most of it done. Also, how long will the concrete take to set til we can start the decking? Its in NY and will be around 50 outside. COuld I use the quick setting concrete or it it not strong enough?

Old 03-20-14, 09:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 697 Likes on 615 Posts
The 4x4 will last longer if it sits on top of the concrete instead of being embedded in it. I think the quick set concrete would be ok but I don't know for sure

Old 03-20-14, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
As Marksr said, the post will rot in the ground. Dig 13"+ wide holes and deep enough to go below your frost line. Use sonotubes and quick setting concrete. You will use post bases either embedded in the mix or bolted down after the fact.

Old 03-20-14, 04:44 PM
P
Will the quick setting concrete be weaker than regular since it doesnt have gravel in it? Could i mix the two to speed up the curing time?

Old 03-20-14, 05:08 PM
All of the rapid setting concrete mixes use about the same aggregate, but the type of Portland Cement is changed (Type I - regular or Type III) or possibly just a little more cement. Just do not confuse that with a"hydraulic cement" that sets very rapidly and has no coarse aggregate. The major brands (Sakrete, Quikrete and others have that type of concrete mix) and it usually stated on the package and often the package is a different color often.

For your application, strength is really not important and the concrete will be placed below grade and have ideal curing conditions (cool and damp).

Dick

Old 03-20-14, 09:19 PM
P
For that size deck what size tubes should I use? 8, 10, or 12?

Old 03-21-14, 03:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Check codes to see if you can even use 4x4s. We have to use 6x6s and 12" sonotubes.

Old 03-23-14, 02:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Build the thing in accordance with DCA 6. And keeping the local AHJ (building permit people) happy is important, too. I'd go out of my way to keep those people happy (cookies and tea, anyone?). Especially come time to sell the property, as the average family in the U.S. moves every 7 years. You don't want your deck to cost you a few thousand bucks on the sale price of the place because it was not built to local and national codes.

Build it once, but build it right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: