elevated deck questions

Old 03-23-14, 12:01 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elevated deck questions

I moved into my house in Seattle about a year ago. It's two stories, and the deck is on the top floor - leaving a covered patio beneath.

There deck is covered in 4'x8' (plywood?), which is sealed on top with some sort of epoxy-like coating, leaving the area underneath dry when it rains

Questions I have:

1) The epoxy coating has peeled up in a few places. I cannot figure out what it is from wandering around Home Depot, or google. Any ideas what a standard coating would be?
2)I'm starting to get a bit of light green mold on various places - should I just scrub it, or do I need to treat it somehow?
3) Due to the nature of the deck, water drips off the edge and with the constant water drip, we have a bit of a trough + lots of moss on the ground. Is there a standard way of draining water? I was going to put gutters on, but I've never seen full-size gutters on a deck. Any suggestions?

I can get pics in a bit if that's at all helpful

Thank you

Old 03-23-14, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I have only done one deck like that. I built the structure and decked it with Advantech. The owner did the waterproofing, and he used several layers of resin and mat, similar to fiberglas, but he said it was made for elemental exposure. He incorporated drip edge on the perimeter to run rain past the edge slightly to prevent streaking. His last coat had a walkable surface, grit like to it.

Pictures of what you have would certainly help us in an evaluation to help you. Problem areas, as well as a general overlook of the deck's construction.

Old 03-23-14, 08:06 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just plywood on a deck is never ever going to work!
Plywood was never made to be left exposed to the elements like that.

Old 03-23-14, 10:13 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name:  Deck.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  34.9 KB

Hard to see exactly, as I took this picture when it was dark. The outside part of the ground is the gritty/epoxy coating. In the middle is where it peeled up and I put some marine paint on it (yeah, it looks terrible, but I'm learning).

You can see the mold/moss on the deck as well. The cracking in the middle I believe is the plywood (assuming that's what it is) that is no longer sealed.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: