ROOF DECK

Old 03-06-01, 05:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to replace the deck over my garage this spring as it has started leaking into the garage(partly tucked under the townhouse). The question is: does anyone know of a better product than tar for sealing the roof between the deck, house and garage? One neighbor used Tar 3 years ago and it's leaking already and one used some sort of Rubber material 10 years ago and it's still ok but did not remember the name. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-01, 07:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Lowe's is carrying a butyl rubber product in caulking gun tubes now. Costs about 2$ a tube. I'm using it on a deck project, and it seems to be the good stuff. Butyl rubber stays flexible for a really long time and sticks to EVERYTHING.

We had a deck that sat on top of a composition shingle roof, and it caused the roof to sag. During a major remodel we removed the old deck and are rebuilding the new one to "straddle" the house using posts that are set in the ground. (we also took the sag out of the roof) I wish we had the money to use a metal roof under the new deck as it would last longer than composition shingles, however, I'm hoping that by not having the deck sit directly on the shingles and with the sun protection that the deck will provide, that the shingles will last a LONG time. The deck will have to be removed to replace the roofing.

Good luck,