Steel Beam Replacement

Old 03-31-14, 10:48 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel Beam Replacement

We are trying to clean span the whole 30 length of our deck. Double car garage is underneath, with a roof line above deck. It is 30' long x 8' wide x 2 x 10 -3 ply beam 30' long, we are thinking the joists are 2 x 8's,

The drafting company we were dealing with tell us that we can do a W250x33 (W10x22) if you are supporting only one floor - BUT as you are supporting the roof above as well - it bumps it to a W310 x39 (W12x26).

Columns must be min 73mm o/s diameter and a wall thickness of not less than
4.76mm. Bottom must have a 100mmx100mmx6.53mm bearing plate.

Columns must be set on concrete piles that extend past the frost line and
are equal in depth the existing foundation.

We are concerned about live load of deck, full of people? Column size seems pretty small for free span, we think there maybe some side pressure if deck is loaded, safety factor? The columns are only 3" dia. I don't think that would be strong enough. A lumber yard said the beam should be 12@50lbs'. I don't have a problem with going big, there is room, I just want it to be safe and up to code.

Attached Images  
Old 03-31-14, 06:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should really invest in the services of a professional engineer. He/she can answer all of your questions, and the plans he/she develops will be required when you apply for a building permit.

FWIW, a W 12 x 26 beam, having a Section Modulus of 33.4 C.I., should have no issues supporting a heavily-loaded deck. Unless your guests are extremely overweight, and packed together like sardines. Also, a 3 x 3 x 5/16 steel column can support an axial force in excess of 60,000 lb., if not too long such that buckling could become a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: