deck "Restore " products

Old 04-03-14, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deck "Restore " products

I will be replacing the decking around my pool this spring. The Rust-Oleum Restore looks like a nice maintenance free slip resistance product, but I have read to many bad reviews to try it. Does anyone have any experience with other "coating" products like this one? I know Superdeck make a Deck and Dock product, also Armor Proxy (commercial floor covering company) make a deck restorer. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-03-14, 07:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is this a wood deck? or concrete slab? Do a forum search, there's been a few threads discussing the failures [and few successes] of those restore type coatings on wood decks.

Old 04-03-14, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The deck will be new treated wood

Old 04-03-14, 02:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have stated in another thread that I used it on my deck and covered front porch last fall. As a disclaimer, my deck was 15 years old. I thought it was dry enough for the coating, and I blame excessive moisture for its failure, not the product itself. You will need to wait until all the moisture is gone from the pt before you paint it, and that could be up to 6 months. I would opt for a solid stain if I had it to do again. Good luck, and follow the directions.

Old 04-03-14, 02:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,178 Likes on 1,136 Posts
On new PT I would go with a solid stain as well - I think the restore products are meant as a band-aid to buy you some more time before replacing old wood.

Old 04-03-14, 02:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
I think you'll be happier using a deck stain! The wood needs to dry out from the PT process first, usually 6 weeks to 6 months depending on how wet it was when installed and the environment it's exposed to.

Old 04-03-14, 05:28 PM
Received 625 Likes on 555 Posts
Agree about the Rustolium RESTORE. We have in our store and were preped on it at our product fair. This product puts an actual layer of pebbly grains on the surface. The wood must be thoroughly dry. I'm no fan of it. If one piece of you deck needs to be replaced it will look terrible and matching the coating will be tough.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: