Replacing Above-Ground Pool with Patio

Old 04-05-14, 12:04 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Above-Ground Pool with Patio

This may be a little long, but I'm looking for some advice. The heavy winter snow in the Northeast collapsed our 21-foot round, above-ground pool. The bottom was gradually "dished-out" which gave the center about an extra foot of depth. I just removed all the debris. It is a crater, and has I would say 3-4 inches of coarse, well-packed sand. We would like to, if possible, replace this area with a circular patio. We don't have the finances to hire someone, and would like to do it ourselves. I always try to do projects the right way, and this is no exception.
My first question is: In order to provide the correct base, does all that coarse sand have to be dug out, a layer of crushed stone put down, THEN the coarse sand goes back, followed by a fine layer of sand? Or, can I level all that sand out, pack it down, put a layer of fine sand down, and then the bricks/pavers? from a couple of videos I've seen, I feel like I have a backward situation, but if there is any way the coarse sand doesn't have be removed it certainly would be a great advantage.
Second question is: I have done some quick, on-line shopping at big-box home-improvement stores, and cannot seem to find circular-patio "kits" in any of them. Do I have to go to a specialty masonry store for something like this? I have seen kits for sale, but they were not from places in our area.
Any advice, step-by-step procedure help, book or video suggestions, etc. would be very much appreciated.
Thanks - Dave

Old 04-05-14, 05:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,621 Likes on 1,455 Posts
If you lived in southern Florida I think you could get by skimping on the base preparation but in MA it really needs to be done properly. You really should excavate and install a properly compacted stone base before sand. Much of it has to do with drainage so you don't have frost heaving problems in winter.

Circular paver patios are not stocked by big box home centers as there is no way to go small and convenient. A small circle is a couple tons of pavers. Not to easy to carry to the car in a shopping cart but they may be able to special order it for you. I would go to a masonry supplier. They can give you great advice for your project as masonry is their only business so they have a good knowledge of what works in your climate.

Old 04-05-14, 05:40 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
As far as I know, you can use the crushed stone with fine sand but I would mix the fine sand with Portland Cement. 3 sand to 1 Portland. That's a dry mix You can use a wet mix around the perimeter. Home Depot will delver anything that you need.

Old 04-06-14, 01:01 PM
D
Finding a Circular Patio Paver Kit

Thanks for the useful advice. I now believe the hardest part will be finding a place in our general area - Boston suburbs - that sells these things. Also, because we've had no luck finding a place in our area, we have no idea what a kit would cost, and if we could even get one that would got to 18 or 20 feet in diameter.

Old 04-06-14, 08:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There has to be at least one stone yard there. I can't imagine that those materials aren't there.

Old 04-06-14, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not consider going with a square or rectangular patio? Much easier to build, with no "kits" necessary. Just order the quantity of pavers you need, and get to work (after addressing the base issues first).

If you insist on circular, you might consider renting or (buying) a decent masonry saw. And creating lots of dust.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: