Redoing front porch structure question

Old 04-06-14, 08:43 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redoing front porch structure question

Ok I need to replace my front porch below are photos of its existing structure. From what I see the columns are not supporting anything they are like 1x10s framed into a box with no post inside. Just wanted some more opinions on the fact that I should be able to remove these columns and not have any structure issues.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29596[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29595[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29594[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29593[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29597[/ATTACH]
Here is the bottom of the one post and how its just sitting there I can't see this as a support for the roof.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29592[/ATTACH]
Here you can see the middle post isn't even touching to ceiling
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29591[/ATTACH]
This is how the overhang looks above the porch its about 3 feet out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29588[/ATTACH]
Here it looks like the roof stops and the roof for the porch starts separately
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29589[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29590[/ATTACH]
I don't see any beams that would suggest there is any support here

Anywho lemme know your thoughts I can't see how those posts are supporting anything except the ceiling of the porch and that will be removed and supported from the overhang and raise the porch roof up to the overhang.

Attached Images           
Old 04-06-14, 08:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The one concern I have id the dormer. Where is it resting? I would use doubled 2x4's and form support between your columns for a warm and fuzzy, prior to removing the columns. Next, once the columns are removed, remove the flooring back past the columns, dig and pour footings prescribed by your location's frost line, then install post bases and 6x6 columns from the footing to the ceiling support members. You can decorate it once it is installed. Block around the base of the 6x6 below the floor level and replace your flooring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: