How should I extend my roof over this patio

Old 04-06-14, 06:12 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How should I extend my roof over this patio

Hello all,
I would like to add a covered roof over my existing concrete patio, but really don't know the best way to do it. (See photos below) My preference would of course be to extend the existing roof-line, but I really don't know how to go about doing that. It seems complicated, especially given that the existing hip rafter doesn't end in the corner, but rather end slightly to the side of it (see the 4th picture).

The other option I have considered is building a shed roof that starts underneath the overhangs of the existing roof. I am not entirely sure my HOA would sign off on this, and I think extending the existing roof would end up looking a lot better.

Any advice, suggestions, or links to reading material would be most welcome. Thanks!

Name:  IMAG0081.jpg
Views: 4772
Size:  29.6 KBName:  IMAG0082.jpg
Views: 5326
Size:  26.4 KBName:  IMAG0083.jpg
Views: 4765
Size:  27.0 KBName:  IMAG0085.jpg
Views: 4443
Size:  21.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-14, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Why not just do what you suggested, and extend the 2 existing planes of the roof, such that they'd meet at a new hip rafter? Supported by a stout corner column, resting on a footing below the frost line. If this is a tract home, the original builder probably has done it before, and has plans available that would show all necessary details.

Old 04-07-14, 06:46 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
While the floor plan for this house is readily available, I've not been able to find any detailed drawings which include the porch addition.

Can I run angled ledger boards along the fascia, then use that and the rafter hanger brackets to run rafters connecting to the main hip rafter that I am extending? Also, how would I extend the hip rafter? Are there angled hanger brackets? Is there a better way to do it?

Attached Images  
Old 04-07-14, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You should contact the builder, as he probably has built the same floor plan, but one that has a covered porch. Without seeing what your framing consists of, I can only speculate in general terms. The hip rafter will need to be free-standing, with a support at each end, as it's difficult to develop a moment connection when tying onto an existing hip rafter. Support columns will also be needed at each end of 2 new carrier beams running from the existing house framing to the hip rafter support column. Each cripple rafter will require hip and support cuts, so you'll need to become familiar with using a framing square. The hip cuts will be compound angles, while the support cuts (birds-mouths) will be simple, single angle cuts.