Please recommend deck color or stain for white house

Old 04-07-14, 07:23 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please recommend deck color or stain for white house

We live in a 1940s cape house with white vinyl siding in Maine. I am building a 10 x 24 deck in the back of my house. My question is what kind of wood should I use for the deck boards? What kind of finish or stain looks good with a white house?

Old 04-07-14, 07:48 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's your budget?
What's available in your area?
Plan old pressure treat would be the least expensive and easiest to find. IN your area it would need to dry out for about 6 months before doing anything to it, unless you can find a place selling kiln dried after treatment.
A wood like IPE would need no treatment, last the longest, insects can not eat it, but it's extremely expensive.
Then there composite which would cost about three times as much as pine but only need a yearly cleaning to maintain it.

Old 04-07-14, 07:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
It's kind of hard to pick a stain color for someone else Most any color stain will go ok with white. Roof color or any accent colors may play a part in which color to choose. How soon to stain PT lumber depends on how long it takes to dry. Usually it takes 6 weeks to 6 months dependent on the environment it's exposed to. Sun and wind will dry it faster than shade. The composites don't need stain but some require closer spacing of the joists to give it adequate support.

Old 04-07-14, 08:23 AM
D
Based on my search in my area, it's either pressure treated southern yellow pine or composite. I don't really like the way composite looks, so I am leaning towards PT southern yellow pine. I also saw some kiln dried Blue Star Products (Blue Star Products - DeckingDecking - Rufus Deering Lumber eShowroom). I'm building this myself, so I am flexible on budget.

Yes, I am having trouble picking a stain for a white house. I have thought about picking a gray stain, but I still have no idea.

Old 04-07-14, 08:48 AM
D
I might also use a cedar because it eventually turns to a grayish tint.

Old 04-07-14, 09:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 702 Likes on 619 Posts
Unstained PT will also turn grey as it ages. Personally, I believe that wood should always have a protective coating ...... but then I did make my living as a painter

PT, cedar, redwood and cyprus will all hold up without a coating but generally they'll look better and last longer with the appropriate stain. I wouldn't recommend a clear sealer like Thompson's WaterSeal [doesn't last long enough] but deck stains come in toners or translucent [see thru with a little color] semi-transparent and solid [looks like paint]. I've always liked to use a translucent or semi-transparent stain on new wood and switch to solid stain towards the latter years of the decks life.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: