What type of post is best for support

Old 04-08-14, 06:30 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of post is best for support

I wanted to see if I could get some help determining the best type of post to use. I'm replacing three 4 x 4 posts that currently hold up the roof over my patio. The posts I'm replacing have been there for almost thirty years and are starting to rot on the bottom.

I was thinking about replacing them with 4 x 4 pressure treated, then wrapping them in paper and covering them with Hardie Board to match the plank siding I've recently installed. However I am worried about them twisting in the future and am wondering if I should maybe use a cedar. Or would I go with a 6 x 6 pressure treated where maybe that won't twist as much?

Old 04-08-14, 07:19 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 pressure treated posts are all that you need. The current post should be pressure treated.

Old 04-09-14, 05:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I don't think trying to cover the posts with Hardie will stand the test of time. As you suggest they may tend to change form, as will almost any wood. I would use the 4x4's then stain or paint them after they dried to compliment the house's siding.

Old 04-09-14, 05:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
I agree! I'd use a latex stain that matched the color of the trim on the house. Oil base coatings don't fair well in the fla sun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: