sealing the underside of shed floor

Old 04-10-14, 07:54 AM
Z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sealing the underside of shed floor

I built my shed with untreated osb flooring....someone told me it should have been treated plywood....I cant take it up now....ii can get under it to paint....what should I use? I live in NC and it is very humid....I will also put down plastic after I paint.

thanks

Old 04-10-14, 08:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
I think you are fighting a loosing battle but coating it should help prolong it's life. I wouldn't be too picky and probably use whatever I had lying around. Something oil based would be preferred like oil based polyurethane or an oil based primer.

I think best would be to elevate the shed somewhat to have good airflow underneath. Even with plastic on the ground I can't imagine you'll keep water and condensation out of the joist bays if the shed is sitting on the ground.

Old 04-10-14, 08:57 AM
Z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im sorry...I guess I didn't explain enough. ...it is off the ground by a foot and more in some places....no wood is touching the ground

Old 04-10-14, 10:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
I've built several sheds with OSB or plywood floors and as long as there is decent air flow and no water gathers under the shed - it should be fine. That said, paint doesn't hurt anything and oil base paint or primer would seal better than their latex counterpart. This is one of the few times that Thompson's WaterSeal will do an ok job ..... as long as it's applied liberally.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: